Monday, September 19, 2011

Labels


Something I’ve noticed about the LGBT community is that we like to put labels on, if not on ourselves, than on other people, like “What kind of gay are you? A femme guy or a straight acting gay? A butch dyke or a lipstick lesbian?” And to be honest the transgender community gets the worst of it. “Are you are a man or a woman?”

Then there is the pansexual community. And I know a lot of people will be going “Huh? What is pansexuality?”  I’ll leave that description for another day.  

The thing is; it doesn’t really matter our sexuality or orientation. Whatever we are, labels don’t define us. They aren’t all we are. Aside from being LGBT we are all someone’s daughter or son, some of us are someone’s sister or brother, cousin, niece, nephew,  mother or father. We all want love and to be loved, we all have hopes and dreams and wants and needs, so why do we have to categorise ourselves when the world is all too ready to that for us?

Me, well I prefer to remain sexual ambiguous, which is basically my way of saying, “If I am not sleeping with you, it’s none of your business who is”.

The Church might hate our “Love is Love” speech and they go on about us promoting pedophilia and that we’re disgusting and wrong and all that bullshit. It sits wrong, because love between two consenting adults wasn’t illegal last time I checked. They are just more labels they want to put on us, to try and fulfill their own agenda, a world without loving diversity. It’s a fear tactic, and there is enough hate our there without us turning it on ourselves. Our sexual preferences shouldn’t cause us to discriminate. Just because someone dresses differently, or acts in a more feminine or masculine way than what we are attracted to, doesn’t give us the right to judge them, when we ourselves don’t want to be judged.

Some people might say that by not giving myself a label I am copping out, that I am not wearing the LGBT tag with pride. I don’t feel the need to define my sexual orientation to the world, I love who I love and I am proud of who I am, regardless of any label anyone may stick on me.

If you want to define yourself, that’s fine. If you don’t, that’s fine to. Be who you are with pride. At the end of the day as long as you are happy with who you are, that’s all that matters. 

- Indie Adams

3 comments:

  1. Agreed.

    Looking around, many of the problems in our world come from lack of love. There should be more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Article! Thanks Indie.. I to believe it doesn't really matter.. We are who we are, and then when we are interested in someone; it matters.

    Madam Morgana: Couldn't agree More! :)

    ReplyDelete